West of Sheldon Road to west of Lotz Road, and the M-153 (Ford Road)/Haggerty intersection in Canton Twp, Wayne County.
- Eastbound and westbound Ford Road traffic will be separated by a boulevard with at least two through lanes in each direction
- The center turn lane will be eliminated
- Several dedicated passenger vehicle/truck turnarounds will be added
- Left turns at intersections will be reduced and traffic signals will be added
- Continuous ADA-certified sidewalks will be constructed on both sides of the road.
Benefits to the Community
- Improved safety and traffic flow along Ford Road
- Safer access to businesses
- Improved safety and traffic flow at intersections
- Sidewalks designed for visual impact, personal mobility safety and overall pedestrian safety
Crash data was analyzed for the three-year period of July 1, 2016 to July 1, 2019, at ten signalized intersections, four unsignalized intersections, thirteen roadway segments, and six ramps at the I-275/M-153 interchange. Above average crash rates at some intersections were significantly higher than the average, as the following table shows. To review the complete report on crash data, click here.
|M-53 (Ford Road)||Entering
Average Daily Total
|Intersections With Signals (West to East)||Rate||Average||Over Average|
|@ Canton Center Road||46,250||3.26||1.14||186%|
|@ Sheldon Road||40,650||2.99||1.14||162%|
|@ Morton Taylor Road||34,810||1.34||1.07||25%|
|@ Lilley Road||45,790||4.13||1.14||262%|
|@ Haggerty Road||58,500||3.20||1.35||137%|
|@ Lotz Road||40,900||1.99||1.14||74%|
|Intersections Without Signals (West to East)||Rate||Average||Over Average|
|@ Panera Bread/BWW
(1) Source: Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG), January 2016.